Biotechnology is an important growth sector for Switzerland. Currently more than 600 companies involved in or supporting biotechnology are active in Switzerland: from consultants to equipment providers, from research and manufacturing services to developers of health, industrial and agricultural biotech products. Health biotech is the strongest sector with more than 15,000 direct employees and another 40,000 indirect jobs located in more than 280 developing and supplying companies with headquarters in Switzerland.
Swiss Biotech Association (SBA)
Founded in 1998, the Swiss Biotech Association represents the interests of the Swiss biotech industry. To support its members in a competitive market, the Swiss Biotech Association works to secure favorable framework conditions and facilitate access to talents, novel technologies and financial resources. To strengthen and promote the Swiss biotech industry, the Swiss Biotech Association collaborates with numerous partners and life science clusters globally under the brand Swiss Biotech™.
Its core objective is to ensure that the value generated by the Swiss biotech industry continues to grow and that the industry contributes to the well-being of the socio-economic ecosystem thereby enabling Switzerland to be a key player at the forefront of bioscience innovation.
To this end, the Swiss Biotech Association is dedicated to supporting Swiss biotech companies through the following:
Developing favorable and competitive framework conditions
- Creating awareness of the biotech industry’s needs and interests with policy makers
- Advocating a competitive tax system alongside lean and pragmatic regulations
- Fostering life science education, technology transfer and intellectual property
Attracting talent, know-how and financial resources to drive innovation and growth:
- Promoting and facilitating access to funding opportunities
- Connecting investors and attractive biotech investment opportunities
- Facilitating access to national and international talent
Fostering networking through strategic, national and international partnerships
- Connecting industry stakeholders and life science clusters
- Organizing and co-promoting national and international life science events
- Providing access to privileged information through industry platforms and working groups
Promoting the accomplishments of the Swiss biotech industry
- Disseminating the value-creation of Swiss biotech companies
- Visualizing the diversity and competitiveness of Swiss biotech companies
- Presenting innovative products and technologies and their contribution to quality of life
Swiss Biotech Members Product Pipeline 2018
By highlighting products in the pipelines of SBA members, this publication shows the innovative spirit of the Swiss biotech industry.See Publication
2018 Swiss Biotech Report
The 2018 Swiss Biotech Report brings together knowledge networks in research, industry, finance and industry development to provide essential insights into the way in which the sector is evolving.